Once upon a time, there was some kind of meme going around that asked you to talk about your must-haves for writing (or perhaps I just made that meme up in my head). Anyway, it’s a fun idea, so here are my must-haves in no particular order:
- Coffee. I know from experience that I can be just as productive without coffee as with it, but it’s nice to have a boost.
- A notebook. It’s good to have “scratch paper” to jot down random ideas as they come.
- Notepad. That basic program that comes with Windows is a lifesaver. It’s the computer equivalent of having a notebook.
- MS Word. I’m too lazy to learn a writing program like Scrivener or yWriter, so I rely on something simple.
- Early morning. When I was younger, I used to be able to write at night, but these days, I can’t stay awake past around 9:30 or so. My best writing time is very early, when my brain has just booted up.
- Pens. I used to write in pencil often, but writing with a pen is smoother, and there is no lead to break.
- No Internet. An incredible amount of time is wasted online. I’m sure there’s some kind of statistical analysis of how the Internet impedes concentration and the number of would-be productive hours that have passed by.
What are your writing must-haves?