Today’s WordPress prompt is:
Make a list of 5 things you’re afraid to write about.
This shouldn’t be too hard.
1. Politics – They say you should never discuss politics in public, for fear of starting an enormous argument. Politics also can get very complicated very quickly… and I’m not sure I have the energy or inclination to start that kind of debate.
2. Religion – I will occasionally write about my religion, or at least mention it in passing, but I don’t like to do it a lot because this is not a religious blog and I don’t want to seem like I’m pushing my beliefs on anyone.
3. My personal life – If I wrote about my personal life, everyone would be so bored they’d quit reading this blog. I save the personal life rants for my paper journal that nobody ever sees. But the reason I’m afraid to write about it is because this is the Internet, and for understandable reasons, I don’t want my personal life in the public view.
4. Abortion – I’m afraid to start a huge debate that could result in anger and flaming. There are certain things you don’t talk about unless you’re with a group of people that you know shares your views – and this is one of those things. Also, the debate could get very emotional… and that can lead to more conflict.
5. Global warming, the Big Bang theory, evolution, etc. – I don’t know enough about science or the environment to even form an intelligent opinion about these things. One day I’ll do all the proper research and form an opinion, but for now I’m scared to write about it or even mention it because I know very little about it. I’m not one of those people who talks at length about a topic they don’t truly understand.
Put it this way – I like calm, rational debates when I am informed enough to not sound like a fool. I also fear writing about things in which I am heavily emotionally invested – because then emotions, not logic, tend to rule.