“Trenches” is probably the wrong term here. XIII: Antistrophe (the middle part of the series, and the longest) is proving to be quite fun to revise. It’s an urban fantasy story, so I can really use my imagination with what happens.
What I’m Enjoying:
1. The characters. They make me laugh. Sometimes I even feel like they’re real.
2. Getting rid of boring parts, gratuitous sex scenes, and inconsistencies. (It’s fun to hack and slash!)
3. Adding transitions so the story is less choppy.
What I’m Having Trouble With:
1. Keeping events from happening randomly. I’m trying to give the characters a concrete reason and motivation for doing what they do.
2. Preventing a deus ex machina at the end.
I think that, as with previous drafts of this story, the more I work with it, the more everything will fall into place and start to make more sense. I can usually go back and tweak a few things if the story seems to be unraveling or going off on a tangent. But all in all, I think I’ll definitely have a much tighter, more interesting story when all is said and done. Confidence!