For the sake of common courtesy, here are some rules that should be etched on whatever the Internet equivalent of stone is… I know there are a lot of posts like this, but some people tend to forget.
1. Be kind. Don’t bash people. If someone offends you, don’t respond with hateful comments. (Basically, don’t troll.)
2. If you find yourself checking someone’s blog every week without leaving a comment, just leave something really simple like “nice post.” It doesn’t have to be a profound statement. Even simple comments make bloggers happy! (Basically, don’t lurk.)
3. Don’t subscribe to more blogs than you can check on. (Don’t bite off more than you can chew.)
4. Too much self-promotion gets really annoying. No one likes a spammer.
5. Make your blog easy to read. You want people to stick around, right? (No tiny fonts, no crazy colors, no blinking images…)
5.5 Please don’t use Comic Sans. Or Impact.
6. Break up your long posts. (use lists, bold, italic, smaller paragraphs, etc.)
7. Give credit where credit is due.
8. Link to other blogs and websites you like.
9. Don’t expect to have a huge following overnight. Blogging (actually any kind of writing) is definitely not instantly gratifying.
Any I forgot? Please leave a comment! 🙂